- August 1996 – HIPAA Signed into Law by President Bill Clinton
- April 2003 – Effective Date of the HIPAA Privacy Rule
- April 2005 – Effective Date of the HIPAA Security Rule
- March 2006 – Effective Date of the HIPAA Breach Enforcement Rule
- September 2009 – Effective Date of HITECH and the Breach Notification Rule
- March 2013 – Effective Date of the Final Omnibus Rule
In certain circumstances, CEs and BAs were given a period to comply with the provisions of each Rule. For example, although the effective date of the Final Omnibus Rule was March 2013, CEs and BAs were allowed 180 days to comply.