The 21st General Assembly created the State Board of Medical Examiners in 1886 to license physicians and regulate the practice of medicine. Initially, the board issued licenses to several classes of physicians, including medical (M.D.), homeopaths, and eclectics. The board did not issue licenses for osteopath physicians until 1902. In 1921, the 39th General Assembly created a separate board to license and regulate osteopathic physicians. In 1963, the 60th General Assembly abolished the osteopathic board and redefined the State Board of Medical Examiners, making it a composite board for licensure of medical physicians (M.D.s) and osteopathic physicians (D.O.s). In 2007 the 81st General Assembly changed the board’s name to the Board of Medicine.