Step 1: Identify the specialty area of the e-consult request.
Step 2: Define the primary reason for the e-consult:
- Is the current assessment and/or approach correct?
- What other/ongoing diagnostics should be considered?
- Should other treatment/management options be considered?
- Should the patient be seen?
- Is the patient a candidate for a research study?
Step 3: Create a one-page clinical summary (first page of the e-consult submission). This does not need to be a new clinical summary. The summary can be the most recent clinical note in your EMR, as long as the following components are included.
- Primary reason for request
- The specific question being asked
- Chief complaint
- History of illness
Step 4: Provide additional supporting information to accompany the one-page clinical summary.
- Clinical notes
- Lab reports
- Other relevant information